Brain training software, with remote supervision.
- Improves reading, focus and processing for all ages.
- Unlike tutoring, cognitive software treats the real difficulties.
Online Brain Training
Programs For Reading, ADD & Learning Efficiency
Why Brain Training?
Brain-based cognitive software is gaining traction as an alternative to instruction-based remediation. It aims to short circuit years of tutoring and/or ADD medication by taking advantage of brain plasticity, the brain's ability to rewire.
The fastest and most effective way to deal with any problem is to resolve the underlying cause. For reading, ADD and language-based learning delays, the difficulty is processing inefficiency.
Processing is not fixed -- it will respond to exercise, and can be improved with brain training in just a few months.
What Is Brain Training or Brain Fitness?
Learning and reading require proficiency -- to a universal, absolute level -- in a wide range of cognitive skills. including visual and auditory processing, working memory, short and long term memory, selective attention and sequencing. Here are examples of cognitive skills that need to be mastered perfectly:
- Auditory processing speed of 40 sounds a second. At this speed, phonological awareness is crystal clear -- a student can break down and decode all words. If a student is processing slower than 40 sounds a second, some words will be muddy and will not be read naturally.
- Focus & attention stamina require processing efficiency. To the extent listening in class or reading is not automatic and effortless, a student is required to concentrate harder than his peers. This leads to inattentiveness, tuning out in class and/or homework stress.
- Working Memory skills must be capable of holding seven items at once. While there are higher levels of working memory skill -- Einstein figured out Relativity using his working memory! -- this base level, a phone number spoken at natural language speed, is essential for focus, reading and learning.
How Our Software Works
Our online brain training combines Fast ForWord software with remote professional supervision. Fast ForWord uses a variety of exercises to strengthen processing and related language and reading skills to natural language speed, starting at a base level, adding in speed and complexity in tiny increments, at the student's pace.
Learn more about Fast ForWord
Brain training relies on brain plasticity, the now established science that the brain can not only be rewired, but that this is its normal state, to be constantly adapting, self-organizing. For instance, a recent study by MIT showed that visual cortex brain tissue in the blind is used for language processing.
MIT brain plasticity study
The opportunity to accelerate learning by taking advantage of brain plasticity is taking hold in the after-school educational world as new brain fitness programs are developed. At this point, only a handful of programs have been able to invest sufficiently in the clinical testing required to establish efficacy, and of those, Fast ForWord software is far and away the gold standard. Other brain training programs include Cogmed, a relatively new cognitive software that focus on working memory, and PACE, one-on-one in-person training.
Fast ForWord was developed by four of the world's leading neuroscientists and cognitive researchers. It took a number of years, requiring many millions of dollars in Silicon Valley funding, using neuroscience principles that in various experiments have been shown to be the most effective in coaxing the brain to rewire quickly and effectively.
Fast ForWord background in brain fitness
Here are the core neuroscience principles of Fast ForWord:
- Frequency. Just as regular physical exercise builds new muscle tissue or muscle memory, cognitive skill building requires frequency, 4-5 session a week over a few weeks or more. Cognitive skills though, once built, integrate into overall language function where they are then exercised naturally in daily life, and so the program is one time only.
- Intensity. Brain training re-works existing processes, creating new, more efficient neural pathways. This requires intensity, not unlike foreign language "immersion" where a month in a country speaking only the local language can do wonders! Fast ForWord builds in this intensity with adaptive algorithms, challenging exercises that adapt to each student's skill level.
- Noradrenaline release. This chemical has the effect of "melting" and then resetting new pathways. Fast ForWord uses extensive rewards to encourage the release of this chemical in the brain, when new levels of success (and ability) are achieved.
- Shaping. This is another concept that mimics physical skill building. Brain training is most effective using tiny, incremental steps (called "shaping") to create new neural pathways to lead the brain to new learning abilities.
- Natural Learning. The most powerful form of learning is natural learning, where the brain absorbs new understanding without direct instruction, not unlike how young children learn language. Fast ForWord uses natural learning in both its cognitive and reading phases.
When Can Brain Training Help?
While studies show that new neural pathways are always created by brain training, how this rewiring translates into academic gain ill vary -- how much change, and how quickly -- depending on IQ, personality traits, and other variables unique to your child.
Because we only accepts students who are good candidates for our program, our success rate is high:
---- In approximately half of all cases, our online brain training is a silver bullet. It improves cognitive skills to the point where the ADD or other symptoms of learning and reading difficulty are no longer evident.
---- In 80-85% of other cases, our software is able to make tangible gains that accelerate learning, creating a foundation for future success.
Find Out If We Can Help
The ultimate measure of success is client satisfaction rate: 96.8% of clients say they would recommend us to others. However, every child is different. To find out if your child is a candidate for our program, call Monday-Friday, 9AM to 6PM EST, or ask a question here:
Contact Gemm Learning here.