Inattentive ADD is a cognitive delay.
- Caused by processing & memory deficits.
- ADD can be resolved without medication.
Inattentive Attention Deficit Disorder
Causes, Symptoms & Treatment for Inattentive ADD
While inattentive ADD is often called a behavioral disorder, it is better described as a symptom of a cognitive delay.
This is an important distinction. Inattentive ADD as a "condition" is typically medicated, while inattentive ADD as a symptom opens the window to a permanent solution by tackling the underlying cognitive delays.
There are two types of ADHD: Inattentive and Hyperactive. ADD is ADHD-PI, ADHD: Predominately Inattentive, meaning the hyper-active elements of ADHD are less relevant, but not excluded from that individual.
Causes of Inattentive ADD
While ADHD-PH (Predominantly Hyperactive) is caused by complex sensory integration and brain chemistry issues, ADHD-PI is almost always caused by language processing delays that create learning inefficiencies and inattentiveness. Here's how:
- Slow processing makes listening in class exhausting -- many children just tune out.
- Language processing disorder impacts phonological awareness, causing labored reading, which is exhausting and distracts from comprehension. This impacts reading stamina.
- Homework requires good listening in class, good note-taking and good reading skills. Difficulties here lead to a lack of homework engagement that is called inattentive ADD.
Processing inefficiency comes up in many academic and social situations, where the world is coming at a child too fast -- the easiest thing to do, the best form of self-defense, is to tune it out.
Symptoms of Inattentive ADD
Inattention may not become apparent until a child enters the challenging environment of school. ADHD-PI includes some or all of the following symptoms:
- Producing work that is often messy and careless
- Easily distracted by irrelevant stimuli
- Inability to focus or sustain attention on tasks or activities
- Disorganized work habits
Here is a more detailed list of ADD symptoms sorted by age.
Inattentive ADD Treatment Options
Inattentive ADD can be treated. Our brain-based program strengthens processing to greatly reduce inattentive ADD symptoms. Many of students go off ADD medicines after our program.
Our programs to help ADD