Every Reader Deserves A Listener — Guided Reading Software
The National Reading Panel, a US government body formed to tackle reading problems rates reading aloud as one of the most effective ways to improve reading. This is especially true when combined with immediate feedback from a teacher or tutor. Our guided reading software, Reading Assistant, does just that, non-judgmentally.
Reading Assistant uses speech recognition technology to provide individualized reading coaching in real time to strengthen reading fluency, vocabulary and comprehension. Gemm Learning provides Reading Assistant software online, with remote teacher oversight.
Why Reading Assistant?
- Know your child is reading “just right” material — libraries are leveled
- Know your child is actually reading the material
- Have the child experience what fluent reading feels like
- Research validated
Gemm Learning provides comprehensive reading programs, provided in individualized sequences, to meet multiple goals. We aim to remove cognitive impediments to reading, train reading fluency and comprehension and then provide oral reading practice. We insert Reading Assistant into the protocol on a case-by-case basis, generally only after students have finished Fast ForWord Language or Fast ForWord Literacy, the cognitive skills portion of our reading programs.
How Reading Assistant Works
Wearing a headset with a microphone, children read out loud from stories on a computer or iPad. If a word is read incorrectly, the software stops and corrects the student, acting as a patient listener, allowing struggling readers to get reading practice without being judged or feeling self-conscious of their reading.
Reading content, which aligns to Common Core State Standards, is available for grades K-12, fiction and non-fiction:
- 300+ reading selections tied to a number of state and national content standards
- Gemm Learning can customize a correction level for your child. It is important for confidence building of struggling readers for instance, not to be corrected on every minor error or delay
- Gemm Learning will adjust the reading difficulty and correction tolerance as skills improve
- A variety of genres supporting elementary to high school curriculum, including both literature and informational text at all reading levels
Reading Assistant makes it possible for Gemm Learning to listen to actual student recordings and see words correct per minute (WCPM) fluency scores, vocabulary and comprehension reports, and other metrics. We use these results to regularly tweak software settings to individualize the student experience.
Reading Assistant Step By Step
Students listen to a model fluent reading of the passage, preview vocabulary, and then record themselves reading the passage out loud. The software designer, Scientific Learning, uses the tag line “Never miss another teachable moment.” This means that pronunciation errors and skipped words are picked up in real time and non-judgmentally corrected.
After reading, students review problematic words they did not understand, and playback their reading. The student then reads out loud a second time, and a third time if the reading fluency goal is not met.
Each Reading Assistant passage ends with a quiz to assess comprehension.
See a demo