Online reading comprehension software.
- Reading comprehension requires sound fundamentals.
- We help decoding, vocabulary, memory and thinking skills.
Reading Comprehension Software
Online Programs For All Ages
Our reading comprehension software first makes reading automatic and then trains the language, high-level thinking and comprehension skills required for college-level reading comprehension.
Here is what is required to meet the comprehension and critical thinking goals of the Common Core State Standards:
- Understand the main idea
- Monitor understanding of the sequence, context, or characters
- Clarify parts of the text which have confused them
- Connect the text to prior knowledge or experience
Our reading comprehension software, Fast ForWord, starts by strengthening the cognitive skills needed for reading fluency & efficiency, before training reading comprehension specific skills in the second part of our program.
Our reading program pyramid steps
Essential Reading Comprehension Skills
Familiarity with Language
While most children learn the language by listening, struggling readers tend to have processing delays that impede language familiarity and dexterity.
Although our cognitive training develops listening skills, it cannot make up for years of imperfect listening. And so, our reading comprehension programs address language skills, specifically vocabulary and language structure, including syntax, spelling and grammar.
Thinking While Reading
Accomplished readers constantly compare the text to their understanding of the world. For most struggling readers, this is difficult. Our program develops thinking while reading using reading comprehension exercises where students learn to decode subconsciously while the mind focuses on an analytical task.
Our reading comprehension programs develop reading stamina by:
- Making reading easier. Our programs automate decoding so that it does not require concentration -- this makes reading less exhausting.
- Improving reading comprehension. An ability to comprehend the text makes it more interesting and engaging, even enjoyable.
- Building reading speed. Our programs improve focus, reducing the need to re-read text, and improve vocabulary -- recognizable words -- creating less reasons to pause while reading. Better progress through the text makes engagement easier.
Fast ForWord also helps selective attention, helpful for reading stamina. We aim to make our students more avid readers, so that they will keep reading and keep improving reading comprehension through practice.
The final step to mastering reading is metacognition, the ability to read critically and self-correct as you go. Metacognitive reading comprehension strategies require years of practice, which can only start once a student is reading with comprehension. This is a compelling reason to help your child improve reading skills sooner rather than later.
Find Out If We Can Help
Reading comprehension with metacognition only develops with practice. Our online reading comprehension programs enable that practicing to start. To find out more or to ask a question, contact us here.