Rewire learning using neuroplasticity principles.
- Adaptive learning software, with remote coaching.
- Individualzed to each child. Only 30 minutes a day.
Rehab Programs At Home With Professional Oversight
The last 15 years has seen a revolution in how we think about the brain, a complete change in thinking that has fantastic implications for stroke patients. It used to be thought that each part of the brain had a specialized function and so if that part of the brain was lost in a stroke then the functions controlled by that part of the brain were lost permanently.
We now know that is not true. The brain is not only NOT hardwired, adapting and changing from experience is how it functions. Instead of being separated into specialized areas that cannot be replicated if damaged, scientists now confirm that the brain is better thought of as versatile tissue that can be trained in any function. For stroke rehab this means that function lost in a stroke can be relearned using healthy brain tissue.
The Brain That Changes Itself
Written by neuroscientist, Dr. Norman Doidge, this famous book contains a number of traumatic brain injury anecdotes and descriptions of stroke treatment. In one case, the father of a neuroscientist had a stroke that damaged 97% of his brain. Using neuroscience principles over a period of months, the father was able to rebuild almost all physical and cognitive functions using the remaining 3% of healthy brain tissue.
The Brain That Changes Itself
At Home Stroke Rehabilitation Software
Our neuroscience software service is unique: we combine Fast ForWord, powerful, adaptive software that has a long track record of success in strengthening learning skills, with remote personal service by a professional who acts as protocol manager and cheerleader.
While our program primarily services children and teens with reading and learning difficulties including autism, a growing part of our service involves helping adults with dyslexia or brain injury from accidents or medical events such as a stroke or meningitis.
Who We Can Help
Our neuroscience based programs will make a measurable change in the brain of any stroke patient who can participate and engage. A successful stroke rehab program will require:
Frequency and intensity. While Gemm Learning is proud of its very high participation rates, and we are extremely vigilant in encouraging this constant attendance, it comes down to motivated parents, patients or care givers to make sure our program is done for the 30 minutes a day, five days a week, that we require for success.
Shaping. Our program is a step ladder to much higher cognitive function, but to succeed participants need to be able to engage on the bottom rung, so that they can be pulled up, in tiny incremental steps.
Focus. All adult learning requires attention and engagement.
If a stroke victim or traumatic brain injury patient -- traumatic brain injury symptoms -- has the home support to meet these conditions, then we would expect to be able to reward them with higher cognitive function. We have had success with a wide range of issues.
Our clients work on software downloaded to any home computer. Data is uploaded automatically to Gemm Learning after each session. We see every click, every error; we see when there is progress, and we see when there is not. As needed, we have a range of interventions to help our clients get the most out of each session so that they can make progress each day.
At home service