Online reading test
See how it works
Natural ADD Treatment Programs at Home
Online exercises for the cognitive delays that cause ADD
Does your child drift off in class, read for short periods and/or is he easily distracted?
It used to be thought that ADD or ADHD-PI symptoms like these were permanent, best medicated. However, in many, if not most, cases inattentive ADD is a symptom of cognitive or learning delays. When confronted with difficulty listening in class or reading aloud, many children will tune out or try avoidance behavior. This leads to an ADHD diagnosis.
Furthermore, these learning delays are mainly language-based and can be treated naturally, without resorting to ADD drug therapy. Our natural treatment programs for ADD use neuroscience-based exercises to tap into this cognitive pathway to reduced ADD symptoms, addressing ADD at its source, at the underlying learning difficulty.
How Our Programs Help ADD
Our primary ADD intervention is neuroscience-based software that uses adaptive exercises to improve the individual cognitive skills most associated with ADHD-PI.
For most children, these skills — working memory, attention, processing and sequencing — develop and mature normally, through daily language interactions – conversations with adults, being read to at night, listening to adults talking. However, some children need more exercise and stimulation than their surrounding environment provides.
This is where our programs for ADD can help. We provide additional exercise and stimulation, the aim being to accelerate the maturing of these cognitive skills and therefore reduce ADD symptoms.
Each exercise in our ADD program targets one or more cognitive skill. Here is how improvements in each of these skills helps reduce ADHD symptoms:
- Working Memory. Increased working memory — the ability to mentally hold and juggle facts and figures — allows for better understanding of the material, and therefore more interest and focus
- Attention. See below
- Processing. By speeding up processing, our software improves listening and learning efficiency, making engagement (focus) easier and more comfortable
- Sequencing. Being able to retain information in order is crucial to understanding. Similarly, keeping letter sounds in order helps with sounding out while reading. Sequencing is also important in math. Improved sequencing can have a dramatic impact of learning power and hence a willingness to engage.
Training For Specific Attention Skills
As we have shown above, improving deep-seated cognitive skills can lead to gains in sustained and selective attention. In addition, though, our program works directly on the individual attention skills most often associated with inattentive ADD:
- Impulsivity. Reduced impulsivity helps focus for test taking, homework, reading and listening in class.
- Inattentiveness. Most exercises require consecutive correct responses — this requirement for consistent accuracy builds attention stamina.
- Distractibility. By learning to resist the distracters in our programs, students develop selective attention, the ability to stay on task, used in class, doing homework and while reading.
Building Reading Stamina
The key to better reading is reading. This a catch-22 – to be a better reader, you need to read. For children with ADHD-PI, that’s a tough cycle to break.
Our programs tackle this issue by at first building decoding automaticity, making it easier and less exhausting to read for longer periods. Easier reading also helps reading comprehension, making reading more interesting and engaging for the reader.
And then this extra reading practice further improves reading skills, including reading comprehension.
Take The Next Step
Gemm Learning provides home-based ADD programs with remote professional oversight, a one-time intervention that takes 4-6 months on average. To find out if our ADD programs are right for your child, please call for a free consult or email your questions here.