Online reading test
See how it works
How We Improve Working Memory
Online Working Memory Training for Children
Working memory is a critical cognitive skill that impacts attention, IQ, executive function, reading and listening comprehension. We improve working memory using cognitive skill exercises that are self-paced. They build function in tiny incremental steps, not unlike an athlete builds muscle memory.
Our working memory training takes an integrated approach that builds processing, sequencing and attentions skills in isolation and together.
In particular, our program targets:
- Accurate listening and reading. In many cases, a working memory issue in children is actually a capture issue. The words are not forgotten, but rather, they were not heard accurately in the first place.
- Selective attention. Working memory deficits cause inattentiveness or an inability to resist distractions while capturing information, listening or reading.
- Retention. Once captured, individuals need to hold and process information. The program has exercises that target increasing the amount and complexity of information held. In addition, these exercises build retention span, with escalating distractions, replicating in class and homework scenarios.
- IQ. Working memory enables the juggling and comparing of facts, crucial to problem solving and critical thinking. If you improve working memory, gains in fluid intelligence, the ability to think quickly and reason abstractly, are likely.
- Processing efficiency. Learning requires the capacity to think about the content, to relate it to existing knowledge or understanding. Our working memory program builds this learning efficiency.
Working Memory Training Benefits
Better grades and test scores. The improved ability to retain a question while scanning multiple choice answers improves grades.
Improved reading comprehension. Improved working memory helps retention of material while reading and cuts down on the need to re-read text.
Improved focus and attention stamina. Retaining more of what a teacher says makes it more interesting and so easier to engage.
Better listening skills. One of the earliest changes parents report to us is a new-found ability of their child to follow their directions.
Gemm Learning provides Fast ForWord online with remote supervision. The way to improve working memory and other cognitive skills is step by step. Fast ForWord’s neuroscience-based exercises are adaptive, adding speed and complexity at the student’s own pace, gradually lifting working memory and related skills to their maximum potential.
Learn more about our service here or call for a free consult.