How Gemm Learning Works
Aiming To Be Life Changing In 4-6 Months
Gemm Learning provides learning and reading interventions. We draw from several cognitive and reading programs to help make reading easier and more rewarding for children 5+, teenagers and adults at all academic levels.
Most of our students start with us behind in reading or with reading lagging their success in other subjects. Furthermore, many students come to us with a formal diagnosis — dyslexia, auditory processing disorder, inattentive ADD, working memory dysfunction, ASD and/or generalized learning delays.
Our strategy is not to be incremental. We aim to be life changing. To that end goal, our learning solution differs from run of the mill reading and learning programs in two key ways:
- Research-validated software that can produce amazing results
- Caring remote oversight that families love
Our Process For Making A Real Difference
Most learning and reading difficulties stem from cognitive skill delays. It is important to understand that these learning difficulties are not fixed. Cognitive skills, like physical muscle skills, can improve with exercise. This is neuroplasticity. We tap into this opportunity to try to remove the barriers to learning. We strengthen the cognitive foundation and then add reading exercises that mimic natural learning, using discovery and exploration.
Reading requires language processing efficiency that does not develop in many children until years after they are expected to know how to read. Furthermore, schools are instruction-focused — they do not address these underlying skill gaps and so for many students, reading and learning difficulties persist for years.
Our learning solution
Since students typically come to us with multiple issues, Gemm Learning takes advantage of the fact that is monitoring work at home to work on as many things as possible.
First and most importantly, students spend time in Fast ForWord working on the cognitive skill gaps causing their delays. From there, most students progress to at least one reading program. We also have self-paced math fact and math curriculum. Students spend 30-50 minutes a day, 3-5 days a week.
Gemm Learning students average 1.5 to 2.75 years of reading gain in 4-6 months. Many also report acceleration in the years after our program. Furthermore, clients report substantial improvements in focus, grades, homework productivity and perhaps most importantly, learning and social confidence.
These gains are permanent — they become part of your child. And they are life-changing, for your child and for you.
The Cognitive & Reading Programs We Use To Get Results
We start with an assessment and then develop an individualized sequence of exercises drawing from several different software programs. This is an individualized protocol, a learning solution for your child’s unique needs and goals.
The main programs in our quiver of choices are:
- Fast ForWord cognitive programs. This is our primary intervention and starting point. The software improves phonological awareness and other foundational skills to make reading easier and automatic.
- Fast ForWord Reading series. This age-appropriate sequence of programs work on reading-specific skills — fluency, vocabulary, spelling and comprehension exercises. The goal of this series is to make reading rewarding, which occurs when reading comprehension comes naturally.
- Reading Assistant. Adaptive reading practice software that builds reading speed and confidence.
- BrainWare Safari. Children with ADD, ADHD, executive function and other difficulties may move to this cognitive learning software after Fast ForWord. BrainWare uses visual processing and multi-tasking, called cognitive loading, to build automaticity and learning efficiency.
- Reflex Math and Dreambox Math. These self-paced programs present math visually to help children who struggle with traditional in-class instruction.
Fast ForWord is only amazing when students complete the protocols. That’s where our remote service really helps. We make sure students stay engaged and on track. This includes daily monitoring of your child’s activity, regular check-in calls and remote support sessions when needed as well as student rewards, mailed certificates, online support resources, and a client support group. Read more about our service here.
Every Student Can Improve
Our results confirm that our learning solution is not just scientific theory. Substantial and lasting change is a very real opportunity for students of all ages. This is why 96% of our clients say they recommend us to others.
Every case is unique and so outcomes vary. While we do our best to screen out students we don’t think we can help, sometimes our program does not make the changes we hope for. Read more here on our claims.
Find Out If Gemm Learning Can Help
To find out if your child is a candidate for our program, watch this video or call a Gemm Learning specialist for a free consultation.